Jaggery is made from sugarcane juice and is becoming more popular as a replacement for white sugar. It’s a staple in India, where it’s called gur. Jaggery is less processed than most forms of sugar. For most people, it is perfectly safe to eat.
- Jaggery activates the digestive enzymes in the body, stimulates bowel movements and thus helps prevent and relieve constipation.
- Jaggery is a natural body cleanser, further reducing the workload of the liver. Jaggery helps cleanse the liver by flushing out harmful toxins from the body, which further helps detoxify the liver.
- Jaggery is packed with calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium and phosphorus and even has trace amounts of zinc, copper, thiamin, riboflavin and niacin.
- Any food that’s packed with nutrients and helps detox the body is great for your immune system and so, jaggery is believed to be one of the best immune-boosting foods available to humankind.
- Many doctors recommend jaggery in the regular diet of an individual with joint pains. It should be eaten with a piece of ginger or with milk to pacify pains.