Chia seeds have always been lauded as an ingredient that boosts the intake of all the important nutrients. From smoothies to salads, chia seeds can be added to almost any dish of your choice. chia seeds are small round-shaped “seeds” that can be black, white, or brown in color. It’s derived from Salvia hispanica which is a flowering plant in the mint family. Chia seeds are superfoods that are surprisingly easy to digest. This versatile ingredient has the power to absorb around 12 times its weight in liquid. In fact, chia seeds form a gel around them when mixed in liquid, this is what gives it a very distinctive texture.
- When it comes to nutrition, chia seeds are a powerhouse. They are abundant in protein, fiber, manganese, phosphorus, and even calcium. Also, they are an excellent source of antioxidants and omega-3s (polyunsaturated fatty acids.)
- Loaded with over 11 grams of fiber in just a single ounce, chia seeds are capable of fulfilling up to 44 percent of your fiber requirements for a day. Since chia seeds are abundant in their fiber content, they work to boost overall digestion.
- Chia seeds are strikingly rich in antioxidants, that effectively work to fight any free radicals.
- Chia seeds are extraordinarily rich in antioxidants, fiber as well as heart-healthy fats. This is what makes them incredibly healthy for our heart health.
- Not only does it promote the prevention of cardiovascular diseases, but it also helps in their management. It is known to prevent any signs of inflammation and at the same time keep cholesterol and blood pressure in check.
- Chia seeds can actively help in the management of blood sugar levels in the body. Studies have shown that with the abundance of alpha-linolenic acid and fiber, chia seeds can help in the management of normal blood sugar levels.
- Chia seeds are also proven to strengthen bones while bone density. In fact, it is also known to promote serious bone-related conditions like osteoporosis. With a high quantity of calcium and manganese, chia seeds work as a food for the bones.