Black salt is a healthy alternative to table salt and is prized for its digestive and metabolic properties. It is also known as saindhav, Kala namak, or sanchal. Black salt was first used in Ayurvedic medicine for its holistic, therapeutic properties. It is filled with minerals that are insoluble, making them harder to be absorbed by the body.
Cooking with black salt is common, and it’s a popular element in Indian cuisine. It has volcanic origins and is composed of Sulphur compounds that contribute to its odour and flavor.
- Black salt stimulates bile production in the liver, and helps control heartburn and bloating.
- Black salt helps boost the absorption of nutrients in the small intestine.
- Black salt’s alkaline characteristics aid to neutralize excess acids in the stomach.
- Black salt has a high potassium content, which is important for muscular function.
- The anti-inflammatory effects of black salt, as well as its abrasive texture, aid in the healing of cracked heels, sprains and swollen feet.